25/08/2014

Marriage Talk

A few days back, a very good friend of mine (Lisa) and I had a conversation about marriage. Well, she was actually the one who brought that subject up. According to the Oxford Dictionnaries, the term marriage means: The legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (or, in some jurisdictions, two people of the same sex) as partners in a relationship.And the state of being married.

I am not quite sure what to think about marriage, and I am pretty sure that many of my peers feel the same way (nowadays!). I do think that marriage has different meanings depending on cultures, ages, life experiences... I told my friend this: I can't talk about marriage right now, and I don't want to! Not even imagine it. I mean, we can still consider ourselves as being young, can't we? We are both 24. She is dating someone, I am dating someone for a while now. Of course, there will be a time when I would like to build a family: children and husband. That time is just not now, nor in a near future. She told me that she had a talk about this subject with her boyfriend, and all that drew my attention was a particular year: 2018.
Things can change, so let's see in the future if my POV changes.
I was told that getting married is THE girl's dream. I think things have changed... I remember when I was a little girl I thought I would:
- get married at the age of 23 the latest
- have my first child at the age of 25/26 the latest.
The other day I was thinking: but damn, I'm already 24 and I'm getting there [25 y.o]. I don't want kids before getting a job, a house and all that!  My mother gave birth to my big bro at the age of 27 (and me at 29). I think this is fairly a good age for one's first child. Getting marrried could be a specific dream of a girl, it's just not one of mine. To my opinion, thinking you want to spend the rest of your life with someone special is enough (and beautiful)... You don't necessarily need to have a ring around your finger to show it.

I am still looking for myself, searching for new goals and exciting adventures such as creating my own language school after having taught many different people /places and understanding what it implies to run a school, travelling the world with the man who makes me laugh and feel loved and many other things I would like to do before settle down in one specific place (where?).
What I mean is that getting married for me would be a huge step. But at the same time, from what I have seen, a happy marriage can also end. Being married to someone does not necessarily mean being in love, and faithful until the end. Marriage is not only about love. Being in a relationship or a marriage for years and years, I think, attachment plays a prominent role, it is the key of what makes it work. No matter what, when, where, you always feel attached to that special person who makes your heart beat.

What I really want right now? Moving to Spain with my man and teach French/English in different schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment